I have an anecdote that is noteworthy, involving my favorite place in Washington D.C., Georgetown University. Yes, the point has been made to me that I do not actually attend this establishment of higher learning, but when has that ever stopped me?
On Thursday I had two exams, and a paper due the next day. This paper required me to analyze 2 rather obscure sonnets that Lorca wrote in the last years of his life. Luckily, there is a book out there that helps with all the mythological references and seemingly random imagery - but alas it was checked out of Alderman. Folks, I NEEDED this book. It was imperative. So after a frantic google search, I learned that William and Mary, Washington and Lee, Georgetown, and the Library of Congress had copies. So I made the executive decision to drive to DC to get those 12 pages.
I made it downtown at about 7:30 pm, and tried to park on campus. This was an unintelligent move on my part, because there is literally no parking. So after being laughed at by the security guard who watched me drive in and drive out (she was literally like, honey I knew you wouldn't find anything), I attempted to park in what looked like a parking garage.
WRONG. It was a parking garage for buses because just as I tried to pull in a huge door opened and a bus drove out. So now I had caused this traffic jam. The bus driver called to me and asked if I was lost - I said I was looking for the parking garage. She told me where to go and essentially stopped traffic so I could awkwardly back out. Thanks Georgetown transit lady.
Finally I made it to the garage! But then the attendant in the security kiosk didn't want to let me in. She says: There is no overnight parking. I, in a desperate manner, try to explain that I don't want to park there overnight. I just want to park there an hour so I can photocopy 12 pages of literary analysis so that I can write a paper. I even showed her my envelope with the call number I frantically scribbled before I left my apartment. She was tentatively convinced, and told me I had one hour.
So I managed to park. I then attempted to find the library. I knew where it was in theory - it's the really ugly building on their main quad next to Healey Hall. I knew I had to go up - I just wasn't really sure where because they have a lot of construction and paths are blocked. So I ended up in front of the business school where these 3 asian guys were smoking. I was like, "Excuse me, where is the library?" They had no idea. They were like, on the other side of the campus. They gave no explicit instructions. So, still confused, I continued on my way until I ran into these four REALLY tall guys. I asked them where the library was, and seeing my confusion they walked me there. Thanks really nice, tall boys.
So I had arrived at the library. Success! Except the Georgetown library has a security guard and you have to swipe in with something called a GO-Card. I explained to the woman that I was not a Georgetown student, I go to UVA. I showed her my student ID. I desperately explained (using the envelope with the call number) that I just wanted to copy these 12 pages. She asked for my student ID, my drivers license, and took down all my info. By the time she finished documenting my presence there were like 20 people waiting to swipe into the library. Way to cause problems, Lexi.
But yes, I had made it. There I was, in the cradle of knowledge of my favorite school, despite its incredibly ugly facade. I took a moment to basque in the moment, and then I made my way to find the book. I found it. It was a magical moment. I cried on the inside. But then a problem presented itself - how will I made photocopies if I don't have this GO-Card. I went downstairs and was confused for a while, until some boy took pity on me and was like - you just insert change/dollar bills here. While I was slightly embarrassed that I showed such incompetence at my favorite school, this was a ephemeral thought and I was overcome by elation coupled with supreme stress. I photocopied my pages, said goodbye to the security desk woman - she inquired as to where I had obtained the goal of my quest. I showed her the pages. I left the parking garage (notice that I did not stay overnight, as I promised) and drove home.
I was supposed to get on the Key Bridge, but per usual got lost and so ended up passing the Kennedy Center, the ugliest building in Washington DC. I mean it seriously aesthetically displeasing. But I made it home, pages in hand, and I wrote that paper furiously.
What is the moral of this story, you might ask? Well there are a few. 1). Don't trust the Alderman recall system, because chances are if you really need the book the person won't return it. 2). It was probably a bad idea to wait so long to start, but I needed that book, and Alderman failed me. 3). Georgetown University just reaffirmed itself as my favorite school - it solves all problems.
So there you have it. Yes, I finished the paper. Yes, I clearly love Georgetown in a questionably unhealthy way. Yes, I am sleep deprived and possibly certifiably crazy because of finals. But my friends, for one hour of my college career I was a Georgetown Student, which is ironic that it happened in the week of my birthday. But that, too, is a long story. For now I will just say thank you ugly library, and Hoya Saxa.
No comments:
Post a Comment