Today I met my intercambio, Andrea, in the Plaza de Ayuntamiento. I think my spanish has improved soooo much more than I expected it to because we basically talked fluently in spanish for 40 minutes. Nonstop. I mean she translated some words for me, but still. Impressive I must say.
Yesterday I went to the Cathedral for the thousandth time, but this time for the tour and the Holy Grail. Sooo the Valencian Cathedral is basically REALLY legit. It has the relic arm of San Vicente Martir (ironic that it's in the Cathedral because the church dedicated to him is literally 50 yards away) and none other than the HOLY GRAIL. The actual Holy Grail. I feel so accomplished that I have seen it. Who would think that it's in Valencia? I forget the reason that it's here, but I bought books on it from the Nun in the bookstore. She was nice. I like Nuns. Also there are just random works of Fransisco Goya hanging in the Cathedral, no big deal. He wasn't important at all. Its basically like a giant art museum. Gotta love the Catholics...or the patrons of the Church 500-600 years ago.
Last night I went to a class on how to make paella. SO NEAT. Ok I have seriously tried to upload pictures to this blog/facebook but there is some sort of server failure when the uploading finishes and it will never work. So paella valenciana - the staple Valencian dish - has rice, vegetable, some type of bean unique to Spain, assorted spices and broth, chicken and rabbit. Rabbit does not taste good. It is noticeably tougher than chicken and there is a conejo named Thumper that lives in our kitchen here. Needless to say I did not eat any rabbit. We also made some sort of black rice squid paella and a blood sausage and squash paella. And flan and sangria. It was really good. I am not a chef and cannot do any justice in descriptions, hopefully my picture will upload at some point in the near future.
Oh and just an fyi for all you world cup fans, Spain has redeemed themselves after the disastrous outcome with Switzerland (i think) and beat Honduras yesterday night. Viva Espana.
This past weekend I went to the beach all weekend instead of Barcelona...best decision ever. Less intelligent decisions of recent noteworthiness include typing this entry when I need to get up in 6 hours. Oh before I publish this, stay tuned for my thoughts on Coke Zero. Why does everyone drink it? I am trying it tomorrow...i.e. today.
Que vaya bien
1.) What are fallas?
ReplyDelete2.) How was Andalusia??
3.) HOLY GRAIL, COOL!! What did it look like??
4.) Rabbit is good. What is a conejo?
5.) Do you go to pubs and watch World Cup games when Spain plays? You totally should.
6.) Coke Zero is pretty good...if I have to drink a low-calorie soft drink, it will obviously be coke and coke zero tastes better than diet coke.
1). fallas is a huge festival that happens every march in Valencia where the town has enormous floats (usually mocking social problems or characterizing popular culture) and after a week of voting and parading they set all the floats on fire. We went to the museum of the fallas where they had some past floats and then we walked around some workshops where they are actually making the floats - they work on them all year from april to march just to burn them! crazy!
ReplyDelete2). Andalusia was ADORABLE. it has so much personality. as we were driving through it all i could think about was how it looked like how I imagined Spain to be. We went to the Cathedral in Granada, the old Moorish Quarter, the house of Federico Garcia Lorca, and the Alhambra.
3). The Holy Grail is all protected (go figure that one lol) so I was about 10 feet from it, but it's basically just a wooden (i think wooden) chalice/cup with gold on it. Not that eventful except that it was the HOLY GRAIL. Mists of Avalon, anyone?
4). Conejo is the spanish word for rabbit. OK girl rabbit freaks me out I refuse to eat it. It's a rabbit. LOL.
5). I haven't actually watched any world cup games since i've been here - but a lot of my friends have. Yes everyone goes to pubs and bars and watches and yells puntamadre (sonofabitch) and all that fantastic hyped spanish love of futbol. However I am going to Madrid this weekend so I'll probs watch stuff there and in teh coming weeks. Now it gets more interesting I didn't care about the pool play that much. And go USA.
6). OK I HATE coke zero. i drank it this morning. at first i thought it tasted pretty similar. then as I was drinking it it tasted worse and worse until i couldn't even deal with it. My stomach felt kinda off all day. I am sticking with regular!!!!!!!
Oooh holy grail! Is it bad that I think of monty python? "Camelot is a silly place." I like conejo with pasta and a red wine sauce...lolz Oooh yeah definitely watch a spanish game and have a few beers! are they still even playing? I don't know I'm so bad I've watched like 10 minutes of one game before that scottish announcer confused me. Ahahahahaha yeah I coke zero much better than diet coke though. Steve literally drinks only coke zero. and light cranberry juice, which is disgusting. cranberry juice is perfect on its own, why on earth do you have to get it penetrated with splenda. ah, mysteries. ;)
ReplyDelete